New Mooniac

cleatus99

Howdy, I am a new Texas Mooniac!

I just bought a good bones 201... Upgrading paint and interior, and radios

My last airplane was a Cherokee 180'

I also have a glider and a gyroplane.

Here is the last picture I got of her, in pre-buy(annual)

And my home base... 3700' of turf

Mine is where the party is...

post-12427-0-40993400-1404142515_thumb.j

post-12427-0-67471700-1404142588_thumb.j

• Like 6

Welcome.  I have been blessed with more than 16 years of 201 ownership and also upgraded from a Cherokee (PA28-151).  There's never been a better time for this aircraft!  I have a friend who bases his 252 on a grass strip and am glad to see another person who understands that, operated correctly, a Mooney is just fine on grass!  

Cody--

My C operates off grass the same as asphalt, except I'm more careful. Give it a little more up yoke on takeoff, rotate at 70 mph like always. I usually have Takeoff flaps on grass, but save them for heavy departures on asphalt. All of my landings are full stall, no change there for grass. Less braking is required, and again a little extra up yoke. Taxi requires more power.

You know, same as most any other plane on grass. Just watch the prop clearance, and avoid soft ground. I also avoid wet and frosted grass, which are slippery. Beware of long grass on short fields, and allow for slightly longer takeoff rolls. When I visit a nearby 2000' grass field, I restrict myself to 2 people and half tanks. I've yet to need a real soft field departure, flying in ground effect to accelerate to Vy.

This works well for my occasional visits to grass fields. Those based there may have other comments.

• Like 2

Cody--

My C operates off grass the same as asphalt, except I'm more careful. Give it a little more up yoke on takeoff, rotate at 70 mph like always. I usually have Takeoff flaps on grass, but save them for heavy departures on asphalt. All of my landings are full stall, no change there for grass. Less braking is required, and again a little extra up yoke. Taxi requires more power.

You know, same as most any other plane on grass. Just watch the prop clearance, and avoid soft ground. I also avoid wet and frosted grass, which are slippery. Beware of long grass on short fields, and allow for slightly longer takeoff rolls. When I visit a nearby 2000' grass field, I restrict myself to 2 people and half tanks. I've yet to need a real soft field departure, flying in ground effect to accelerate to Vy.

This works well for my occasional visits to grass fields. Those based there may have other comments.

And don't forget about "It's Groundhog Day!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to our great side. You will find a lot of great advice and a lot of fun. It is a great community. Regarding your question about turf and grass fields. Don't worry too much about it (Although I have to say the first time I landed on one I was scared to death). Just be as precise as possible, check you speed and make sure that the field is in good shape. If you want I have some videos of me landing on grass strips... 

Oscar

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuBPKyU-fEOZGWKutpVtFKw

• Like 1

I was based on a grass field for several years though I retained a shade T spot at the public airport across town during the winter. Hank's comments are spot on. I do recall always pulling the yoke back full for taxi. ISTM the greatest risk of a prop strike is dropping the nose wheel in a hole or ditch at slow speed. (Ironically, I managed to do that last year on a paved ramp!)

While a good grass strip is better (think tires and brakes) than a paved field, your insurance company probably will charge a little more for basing a plane on a grass strip.

Runway is 58T

~3700'

I've got a Glider SGU 2-22E

And a Calidus Gyrocopter I'm building.

I've met Don, and several of the gang that was at Red Bird last month.

Howdy Mooniacs....

Now I just need one of those I love to Fly Fast shirts :)

Runway is 58T

~3700'

Living with your plane is the way to go, for sure!

I see Airnav gives you credit for 3000'.

It's probably like our runway....it depends on who wants to know.  If you're from the county, it's 2500' and a very short 2500', if you're from the insurance company, it's 4800' and it's a long, unobstructed 4800'.  If you're a prospective homebuyer, it's about 4500' give or take.   ;)

I don't even like to taxi on grass ;)

I suspect taxiing is riskier re prop strikes than l/TO. A Mooney based with me at KMRN had to do an engine tear down several years ago at SunNFun after a friendly parking volunteer led him across a shallow ditch.   

I don't even like to taxi on grass ;)

And that's generally a sound operating principle!

Not all grass is created equal.  There are grass fields that are darn near perfect, there are others best left to bush airplanes and damn fools.  The trick is to know the difference.  

If you don't KNOW....don't go.

(I've operated my Mooney out of a grass field for 16 years, now.)

Dirt is for farmin, had to do some dirt taxi time a few weeks ago and i was so careful ended up fine. some one posted a thread titled terror. well thats the most frightened i have ever been in my plane.

Thanks for clarification Don...

I'm getting word I won't get to fly mine till it's out of the paint shop ~mid September :(

Ohh well, at least I'll have the newest prettiest fastest mooney till then :)

Now if I can get 2 hours of dual between now and then......