KT74 integration with GNS530w

Please see below information from a post 6 month ago:

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Here is some information I got earlier this week from Honeywell's Technical Support:

Here is the information I have on the on the STC and WAAS unts.  Also, is a short FAQ.

The WAAS enabled GPS sources that the KT 74 will be approved for use as an ADS-B approved GPS source are:

o Freeflight Systems 1201

o Accord Technologies NexNav mini

o Garmin GNS 400W/500W

o Bendix-King KSN 770

The aircraft that will be included on the initial STC Approved Model List are:

•             Cessna 172/182

•             Mooney M20

•             Piper PA-28

Follow on activities are being planned to increase the scope of the STC.  We will be looking at the GPS sources which need to be added (GTN650/750) as well as prioritizing which aircraft (Beech, helicopters, etc) need to be added to the list.

And,,, the FAQ's --

1) Define “Plug & Play”: Is it truly P&P or are there variations? For example, if you have a 28v aircraft that is currently utilizing the King Dropping Resistor, does the dropping resistor need to be removed?

You can leave the dropping resistors in place.

2) I assume this unit does in fact have extended squitter?

Yes it Does

3) My understanding is that in order to properly interrogate ground stations, a Mode S transmitter must receive appropriate GPS data. What GPS’s are compatible as a source of this data?

KSN 765/770, GNS 4XXW/5XXW, NexNav mini, FreeFlight 1201

4) Does this unit have the ability to interface to a “Display” to view TIS-B Traffic? If so, what displays are currently compatible?

The unit does not support TIS-B (ADS-B traffic) but does support TIS-A traffic (Mode S, US only)

5) I assume this unit will not receive FIS-B; Am I correct? If I am wrong, what displays are currently compatible?

Correct. KT 74 is a Mode S unit only and does not support UAT.

6) Going back to the P&P question....It is my experience that at times there are different cable length requirements and antenna requirements. Is this a possible change with the KT74 for which my be an exception to the P&P advertising?

As long as the baseline unit being removed was installed in accordance with its installation manual with the appropriate antennas, the KT 74 will work fine.

I called Bendix King two weeks ago and was told that KT74 will not integrate with GNS XXXW series or any Garmin products yet. The newest Garmin firmware release will make the gps WAAS data accessible but a new KT74 software release is in the works to utilize the new Garmin protocol.

I called Bendix King two weeks ago and was told that KT74 will not integrate with GNS XXXW series or any Garmin products yet. The newest Garmin firmware release will make the gps WAAS data accessible but a new KT74 software release is in the works to utilize the new Garmin protocol.

They also need STC approval for the new firmware. I spoke to BK about 2 weeks ago as well and was told it is not expected till August at the earliest.

FWIW, this STC approval has been delayed again and again and Trig (the manufacturer of the guts of the KT 74) reverse engineered the data from Garmin, so there is no guarantee future Garmin GPS updates won't break compatibility. Because of all this, I've opted to go with the Garmin GTX 330ES despite the higher cost. The avionics shop has offered me $1000 in trade for my GTX 327 though.

-Andrew

I'm going with KT74, I figure I have until 2020 to wait for the STC, if Garmin plays nasty, I am sure by then there will be other GPS units to select from.

For $2000, I can wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cost difference is actually $1500 not $2000, but I'm sure many will pick the KT 74 due to the price difference for basically the same capabilities. I hope the STC does come through.

-Andrew

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great news!!

I was told by BendixKing that their firmware will work with the latest Garmin firmware only. Some of us may need to upgrade both.

The STC requires Garmin version 5.0.  Version 5.10 was the latest but there were several reports that that version caused some issues with the JPI engine analyzers on remaining fuel.  Hope that version 5.0 does not have that issue.

The STC requires Garmin version 5.0. Version 5.10 was the latest but there were several reports that that version caused some issues with the JPI engine analyzers on remaining fuel. Hope that version 5.0 does not have that issue.

Actually the opposite. With 5.1 there is a bug that prevents manually entering fuel remaining, but the JPI interface continues to work just fine. So only an issue for those without any kind of fuel interface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone upgraded a KT76C with KT74 and connected it to a Garmin 430 or 530 yet? Any insight would be appreciated. 

The STC is approved but I am not sure how easy/difficult it is to do!  My shop ( with a very good reputation)  is thinking of replacing the KT76C tray with the KT74 tray.