Dynamic Prop Balance

mulro767

I finally did it. I could see a difference on my glareshield and in my wet compass. The glareshield used to vibrate and any dust or dirt particles would bounce on top of it. The compass would splash around and wobble. Not any more! I'm hoping this will increase the longevity of parts and plastic. I've had two rocker switches break this last winter. I still feel vibration on the floor especially on the right side. That's from the engine and exhaust.

I went from .3 ips to .02. The really interesting point I learned was he was able to drop from .3 to .2 just by flipping the spinner around! I had no idea that the spinner had two dots on one side matched for installation. The rest he just added some counterweight washers to fine tune down to .02 ips.

If you're in the Midwest area, I highly recommend Doug Sheers with Harmony Aviation. He's very professional and fairly quick. 2 hours and $225.

http://www.propbalancing.com/Technique.htm

• Like 1

We just had our Top Prop done last Friday and it made a HUGE difference.  I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner.

Did the vibration go away across all the RPM range ?

i had my Top Prop done a few months back. much smoother overall but vibration appear around 2200-2400 RPM.

smooth outside that range.

Did the vibration go away across all the RPM range ?

i had my Top Prop done a few months back. much smoother overall but vibration appear around 2200-2400 RPM.

smooth outside that range.

I haven't had those issues at those ranges.  2500 RPM was the worse, but it eliminated that.  We just flew today and even my wife, who rarely notices anything about the plane, even commented how much better it felt.

• 1 year later...

There is a shop at Lancaster in PA that does it.  

http://www.sensenichpropellers.com/contact/pennsylvania/

Sensenich - On the field at LNS - they can do it an few hours for you while you eat lunch at the restaurant.  The restaurant does not open until lunch time.  There is also a pilot shop on the field if you get there prior to the restaurant opening.

Priscilla usually answers the phone and she's person who will schedule you.

Ray Hershey- General Manager and Quality Control- priscillasps@aol.com

Stuart Carrihill- Manager- stuart@sensenichpropellers.com

Phone: (800)462-3412  (717)560-3711

Fax: (717)560-4354

Lancaster is a worthwhile visit...

Home of Henry Weber, MSC.

The Sensenich shop used to take care of my M20C annual prop hub test.

If you are a fan of Twin Mooneys, they have Aerostars for sale there as well...

Best regards,

-a-

Lancaster is a worthwhile visit...

Home of Henry Weber, MSC.

The Sensenich shop used to take care of my M20C annual prop hub test.

If you are a fan of Twin Mooneys, they have Aerostars for sale there as well...

Best regards,

-a-

I saw some of those Aerostars up close in person when I was walking across the ramp and I admit, they seem very tempting.   Pressurized and very fast for a Piston.  The Super 700s are a bridge between piston and turboprop in terms of speed.

However to get those speeds you are burning a lot of fuel.  Still a whole lot less than a turboprop but still double that of your Mooney.

The pressurization factor is huge however.  

-Seth