Garmin GDL 39 Mass buy

I am not sure how many people on this forum are interested in the Garmin GDL-39 but I have an opportunity to put together a mass purchase of GDL-39 3D ADSB receivers, the cost will be based on the number of units requested so I am putting it out to see if there is any interest. once I get a count I will be able to tell you what kind of discount will be available.

Brian

I have been in the same situation and since i have been using foreflight was also looking at the stratus 2 but i did not like the fact that it uses WIFI to connect. I have also heard some negative comments but i do have a few friends that love theirs. I have another friend who just installed his GDL-39 3D and put the external antennas on so it is basically permanently mounted, he loves the setup and the garmin program. I personally have been evaluating the garmin app vs Foreflight and they have come a long way, currently I am using foreflight but will be swapping over when my subscription expires. as for a price point, i'm not sure at this time just because I put this together over dinner last night, it started out at a price for 3 units for a couple of us who have been looking...then i asked what if i can get a bigger order going....so he has to go back and look at what they can do for discounts. initially he was talking low $800 range but that was table talk, I will talk with him later this week or next and hopefully he will have exact numbers for me.

Brian 

Brian,

I'm planing on buying one, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  So you can count me in.  Do you have "J" windscreen in your C?  The GLD-39 3D needs to be facing forward (I think) for the attitude info.  I have the original windscreen so putting it on the glare shield isn't an option.  But was thinking I could mount the unit on the floor in between the front seats and make up some sort of cable to relocate the ads-b antenna and use a remote gps antenna.  

Dan 

If it's in the 15-20% range I'm in.

I'm thinking the range will be 5-7% 10% at the best but i will not know till later. I would love to see 15% or better but I believe that is lower then what the dealers pay for them and this is not coming directly from garmin so it won't be below dealer cost.

Brian

Brian,

I'm planing on buying one, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  So you can count me in.  Do you have "J" windscreen in your C?  The GLD-39 3D needs to be facing forward (I think) for the attitude info.  I have the original windscreen so putting it on the glare shield isn't an option.  But was thinking I could mount the unit on the floor in between the front seats and make up some sort of cable to relocate the ads-b antenna and use a remote gps antenna.  

Dan 

Dan,

I am actually looking at using external antennas and mounting mine in the back. I do not have a hat rack but if I did that is where mine would go, instead it will go just behind the aft bulkhead.

Brian

• Like 1

You guys know there is a remote version of the 39? It is not the 3D version but I suspect at some point it will be: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/avionics-safety/weather-solutions/gdl-39-gdl-39r-gdl-39-3d/prod93601.html As for the apps. I have both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot loaded. The main difference is the GUI. I like how Garmin works like my GTN and it makes for a simple pathway to find stuff I want. Garmin also has the dynamic maps capability which helps minimize the views of extra stuff. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but unfortunately the cost of commitment is high... My ForeFlight subscription won't be renewed this year.

I already have one ( GDL39 3D). I got it few months ago and I literally use it every day as I am in the middle of my IR and I fly every day. I am very pleased with it, accuracy is great, nice to have AI backup and synthetic vision.

Very important thing is that I had no connection problems at all and it doesn't overheat even with the sun blasting on it for many hours.

I'm interested in the 3D version as well.  Not interested in the non-3D version.  I would definitely want the battery too.  The street price is $849 without and $899 with the battery.

With the battery, that would give me a backup way to fly and navigate if I find myself IFR and have a total electrical failure... at least long enough to get to VMC and land.

Bob

• Like 1

Thought of something that might make a difference too.  If I order it from Pacific Coast Avionics in Oregon, there is no sales tax.  All I have to do is pay for shipping about 100 miles.

If we end up making a mass buy, I'm assuming they will all be shipped to one address.  Depending on where they are purchased and where they go, there may or may not be tax to be added.  There will be the cost of shipping to get them to that one address.  Whoever has them shipped to their house will then have to ship them to all of us.  Lots of work for that poor soul.

Once you come up with a price, please be sure to give us the bottom line including tax and shipping to you.  We can then get an estimate for shipping from PA to us.  Shipping will of course depend on where we live.  It will cost a lot more to ship it to me in Washington than it will to someone in New Jersey.

Thanks for going to the effort.

Bob

I am not sure how many people on this forum are interested in the Garmin GDL-39 but I have an opportunity to put together a mass purchase of GDL-39 3D ADSB receivers, the cost will be based on the number of units requested so I am putting it out to see if there is any interest. once I get a count I will be able to tell you what kind of discount will be available.

Brian

I'm interested and I sent a PM.

regards

~Marc

I just got the initial numbers back but the spreadsheet is a little confusing based on what accessories you may want, the discount is also not as good as I had hoped but it is better than retail and there will be no sales tax added to the price. as for shipping they will be given to me in PA and then i can get them shipped out to everybody (or that is the tentative plan). I will sit down later and try to decipher the different accessory packages but the basic GDL-39 3D will be $828.36.  with a battery and DC cable it is $891.00. (I am going to see if we can improve on that)

I will be sitting down later this week to work out the ordering and payment details. for those of you planning on attending the picnic this weekend you should be able to put the order in then.

Brian

I bought mine with battery and cord from Aircraft Spruce for $899 and got free shipping. (They give free shipping on orders over $500) This allowed me to buy other items i needed and get the free shipping on those as well. They ship out fast and are great to do deal with.

The GDL 39 3D works great - I am very satisfied. I have it paired via Bluetooth to both my Aera 795 and my iPad Air.