Pulling my M20E

Hedge

My airport does not have a full service fueling (no fuel truck) and I either have to start my plane to fill it or I have to pull it 400 feet up a slight grade.  It is definitely a work out when I do it.  I have seen golf carts pull planes, but does anyone have any suggestions.  I hate starting it, stopping it, fueling it, and restarting it.  It sometimes doesn't start very nice after fueling.  Pictures would be great too.  

I was thinking of riding lawn mowers.  Nothing expensive, because it will be stored in the hangar and only used as a plane mule.

Mark

Converting an old riding mower is probably the most cost effective way... find one via craigslist, and then fashion your own tow bar/rig with the help of a welder as required.  Many of them will run on 100LL too, which won't turn to gum sitting in the tank.  Bonus that you could also fit a snow blade to it if that is a concern in your area.

• Like 1

I had a homemade tow bar I used with a two wheeled walk behind tractor for a while until my experimental tug was finished and I had a swivel in the tow bar with two strong springs on each side so it would keep from forcing the nose gear two far. This worked great as long as it was pulling but when I would push the plane backwards it wanted to turn on its own so I welded it solid and just paid very close attention when I used it. If I were going to use something to pull my plane to the fuel farm I'd have the spring set up for towing forwards use a atv or mower and have a hole in the swivel that could be locked straight for backing so it wouldn't try to twist when backing into the hangar. I suppose one could make a dolly with wheels and a swivel the nose gear sits on so the nose gear wouldn't have to turn ANY and one could have an unlimited turning radius while the nose gear wouldn't have to turn at all.

Would pulling up after landing to fuel be an option???  Then when its time to park it would be a down hill coast, your wife would love that.

I did this as I thought the same thing.  I think it is uphill both ways.  And it is more like 300 yards and not feet.

Please check my gallery. I have photos of my tow lawn mower. I removed the cutting deck and welded trailer hitch balls on the front and back. Total cost $100. Works great. PM me if you have questions. Ray

That looks great.