GTN 750 and ASPEN

My avionics guy just upgraded the software on my GTN 750 and it stopped communicating with my ASPEN. He is saying that Garmin has not informed him about the problems between both units... and that he does not know what to do, beyond asking Garmin to send him a new software version...

Please can somebody help me!

In advance thank you for your assistance.

Oscar

Oh no Oscar! I hope this is just a firmware glitch and not something Garmin did intentionally. I know they changed the firmware that impacted Aspen's Connected Pilot (I have a letter from Aspen on this topic). I also know they did something with one of the GTN updates that stop my fuel flow from working. I think this was a true glitch and they are working to resolve it.

Let us know what happens! BTW - what is not working?

Oscar

Check the 750 interface configuration pages. It is possible that when the new software was installed they changed to default mode and you need to change them back to your configuration. With new software sometimes you have to play with this new configurations until you hit the right one.

José 

Oscar, this is a configuration issue and sounds like your avionics guy is not up to speed!

It is covered in a Garmin installation bulletin. Have him call Garmin and they'll walk him through on how to configure it, I'm sure.

Things don't look good. ASPEN is blaming Garmin and Garmin ASPEN. So I got really upset with my avionics guy, telling him that he should not have upgraded the firmware without being sure that there would not be a problem

. Now I am being told to be patient... The interim solution is my 430 that serves as a interface between the 750 and the ASPEN. Good thing is that I still owe the avionics guy money... So until this is not resolved I will not pay them.

Lesson learned: don't upgrade firmware if everything works well.

Oh no Oscar! I hope this is just a firmware glitch and not something Garmin did intentionally. I know they changed the firmware that impacted Aspen's Connected Pilot (I have a letter from Aspen on this topic). I also know they did something with one of the GTN updates that stop my fuel flow from working. I think this was a true glitch and they are working to resolve it.

Let us know what happens! BTW - what is not working?

The GPS 1 is not being recognize by the ASPEN the rest seems to work ok

The GPS 1 is not being recognize by the ASPEN the rest seems to work ok

I hate to agree with Pete, but I would be willing to bet it is a config issue also. Never upgrade a Garmin without writing down the config info if it is connected to anything else. Contact Aspen Tech support yourself and ask them for the config info for the garmin 750 if they have it available, OR if someone else on this list has a GTN 750 and aspen (I know David Guerra does) maybe they can give you their configuration of the 750 to compare.

It seremos that I discovered (Lucky me!) a new incompatibility between ASPEN and Garmin. They are researching how to solve the problem... Meanwhile I hope that they can downgrade my firmware...

Ah, the infamous bug in the new firmware problem. Was this firmware also supposed to address the flickering display on the GTN as well?

What flicker? I've never noticed anything.

There is a known bug that is a periodic flicker of the GTN displays. I have seen it a number of times and actually recorded it on one of my YouTube videos. Garmin sent me a service notification back in March about it.

SERVICE ADVISORY NO.: 1409 Rev A

TO: Owners/Operators of Garmin GTN 6XX/7XX Units DATE: March 14, 2014

SUBJECT: GTN 6XX/7XX Occasional Momentary Screen Flicker AFFECTED PRODUCTS

This issue affects GTN 625/635/650 and GTN 725/750 Units with Main Software Version 3.00 through Version 5.00.

During normal operation, a portion of the GTN display may occasionally exhibit a momentary flicker. This can occur on any page of the GTN series unit, but does not affect the operation of the unit.

Garmin plans to correct this issue in a future software release.

Sent using Tapatalk

There is a known bug that is a periodic flicker of the GTN displays. I have seen it a number of times and actually recorded it on one of my YouTube videos. Garmin sent me a service notification back in March about it.

Thanks for the headsup. I haven't seen it at all, and I'm on the current release. I imagine it could be a little unnerving during an approach.

The flicker may be related to the display dimming level at certain ambient light levels on the photocell. If you have yours set up for fix brightness you may never see the flickering. Try setting the display for maximum brightness instead of auto dimming setting.

José  

I am traveling this week, but my avionics guy called me yesterday to tell me that they had fixed the problem. When I asked him, what he did, he explained that the upgrade had messed up the configuration of the GTN 750 and that he had to reconfigure the unit again. I will report back once I see and fly the plane if everything is really ok. 

On a different note, JPI has issued a new software upgrade for its JPI 830. It is available on their www side.

Oscar

http://www.jpinstruments.com/technical-support/software-downloads/

I am traveling this week, but my avionics guy called me yesterday to tell me that they had fixed the problem. When I asked him, what he did, he explained that the upgrade had messed up the configuration of the GTN 750 and that he had to reconfigure the unit again. I will report back once I see and fly the plane if everything is really ok. 

It's always a good idea to go to the configuration pages, and with your phone, take a snapshot of each one. 

• Like 1