First 2 flights with overhauled Brittain Autopilot

I just did a couple of flights in my '67F model with the newly overhauled Brittain autopilot. How sweet it was! I had way more time to pay attention to navigation and engine management, and even to enjoy the scenery.  It made my 3.8 hr and 4.2 hr legs way more relaxing. 

I had the main control box overhauled only. Make no mistake, I still have a few bugs to work out. It turns right faster than it turns left. And the T & B aileron trim knob is stiff to the point of feeling like I am breaking it off when I turn it. I figure I'll change out the 47 year old T & B and then  start working on the servos next. However, once I trimmed out the ailerons and kicked in the autopilot, she held her heading fine within a degree.

A big thanks to Kevin at Brittain for the wonderful job he did on re-soldering and replacing the defective main unit components.

Life is good.

Paul K

post-8079-0-21249900-1397183222_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Way to go, Paul! My Brittain unit isn't as fancy, it flies off the heading bug, but it's pretty nice.

First thing I would look at is the wing servos. Brittain can tell you exactly how to rewrap the rubber boot, using an O-ring as a rubber band, and electrical tape to hold it all together. I had problems with the heading bug not holding and gradually getting worse; turned out I had a tear in the rubber boot, so had to send a servo to Brittain. I pulled the wrong one first, of course, so I changed the o-ring and rewrapped it while it was out, then pulled the other one.

I also rewrapped but did not replace the o-ring on the two tail servos, which I could do carefully without removing them from the plane [accessed through the avionics hatch].

Enjoy the auto pilot, you'll get to do much more sightseeing, and can pay closer attention to what's around in busy airspace.

• Like 1

Our plane is at Brittain having altitude hold installed as we speak. The "box" is going where yours is currently installed in the top of the center stack. We are really looking forward to flying the plane with the altitude hold supplementing the Accu-Flite and Accu-Trak in addition to basic wing leveler. The equipment purchase's, re-furbs and installs have been a little at a time upgrades over several years as the opportunities presented on Ebay. Yes, the folks at Brittain have been/are wonderful. More to follow...

• Like 1