X wind landing Vid!!!

Yes, truly amazing.

The Bombardier Dash8 amazes me with those long sticks for gear. Looks like a cross between a pelican and a flamingo!

Not without their share of problems but they can sure take a beating!

They're engineering masterpieces! As is our Mooney gear of course!

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that the big jets were all crabbing and kicking the rudder on touchdown rather than dipping a wing into the wind. Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's why these videos were so exciting.  Obviously rotten technique.

If they'd landed like Mooney pilots do, there'd have been no video circulated......just routine boring.

Do you want your landings to be subject to a viral Youtube?

When you bank the wings in and airplane with swept back wings and you flair for landing the wing tips are closer to the ground than airplanes with strait wings.

Surprisingly enough on the 767, it is not the engine, or the wing tip that hits first in landings, it is the flap.  

Surprisingly enough on the 767, it is not the engine, or the wing tip that hits first in landings, it is the flap.  

Isn't that because airliners use an obscene flap setting, on the order of 50-55º? And to think that people fuss about some old Brand-C's that reach all of 40º . . .

It seems that the big jets were all crabbing and kicking the rudder on touchdown rather than dipping a wing into the wind. Why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was a similar thread over on Beechtalk a while back.  One of the former 747 pilots commented that flying swept wing (see stevesm20b above) and I believe the term is pod mounted engines below the wing is different than flying piston aircraft.

• Like 1

Some real great piloting and to think the industry want to design pilotless aircraft. I'd like to see some stupid UAV set down in those conditions. Hats off to the folks that get to that level of skill.

Personally, I think computers could do a better job than humans. Since it has all of the inputs that it needs, wind, temperature and pressure, it would be able to calculate the proper corrections several times a second.

Perhaps so long as the computers don't crash pun intended. I know I would never trust my life to a computer. I remember years ago the folks at Audi thought they could program the perfect lap around a track that could never be beat with their current car. After they plugged in all the data and came up with the time Hans Stuck the driver of the car at the time went out and beat that time by a big margin. Some times you have to push beyond the limits of a program something a computer can't do. The computer guys could not figure out how he did it. I don't know about you but I know my brain has way better processing speed than my computer. I like the idea of fly by wire where the computer aids in the pilots input to adjust the control surfaces to give the desired result.

Perhaps so long as the computers don't crash pun intended. I know I would never trust my life to a computer. I remember years ago the folks at Audi thought they could program the perfect lap around a track that could never be beat with their current car. After they plugged in all the data and came up with the time Hans Stuck the driver of the car at the time went out and beat that time by a big margin. Some times you have to push beyond the limits of a program something a computer can't do. The computer guys could not figure out how he did it. I don't know about you but I know my brain has way better processing speed than my computer. I like the idea of fly by wire where the computer aids in the pilots input to adjust the control surfaces to give the desired result.

Interesting, I trust my life to a computer every time I board on a modern airliner, especially a 787 or A380.

That's true but someone is still in the seat controlling the aircraft and analyzing what the computers are up to. They provide lots of information but I don't let them think for me. I have a lot more faith in human skills I know what the future is don't mean I have to like it