Wings and Wine 2014: SoCal Formation Clinic

Dave Marten

post-8441-0-55674300-1391149011_thumb.jppost-8441-0-62851800-1391149101_thumb.pn

post-8441-0-26515800-1391149153_thumb.jppost-8441-0-64983500-1391149023_thumb.jp

post-8441-0-66665800-1391149033_thumb.jppost-8441-0-71502300-1391149041_thumb.pn

Wings and Wine 2014

Southern California Formation Flying Clinic

Enjoy a weekend filled with flying, friends, and fun in the heart of the California wine country. Pilots, BRING YOUR SPOUSE! While the guys are out flying the ladies will enjoy the day touring local wineries, tasting rooms, and the shops of Paso Robles! Following Saturday’s flying we’ll rejoin with the ladies for a group dinner Saturday evening.

The primary goal of the formation practice session is to introduce the basic 2-ship formation procedures required for participation in either the Mooney Caravan or Bonanzas to Oshkosh 2014 formation mass arrival to AirVenture Oshkosh. For those pilots proficient in basic 2-ship formation they will have the opportunity to both refine their fundamentals and work on 4-ship procedures. Experienced formation pilots will be paired with new pilots to serve as safety pilots.

Location:  Paso Robles Municipal Airport (KPRB) Paso Robles, CA http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPRB

Dates: March 21-23, 2014

Hosts: Dave Marten (Mooney Caravan) dandtmarten@hotmail.com (605) 390-8044 and Stephen Blythe (B2Osh) spb@blytheco.com

FBO:

Paso Robles Jet Center (805) 596-0212 http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPRB/PASO_ROBLES_JET_CENTER/link

Arrival parking is on the transient ramp located on the west side of the field across from the airport terminal/FBO. Self serve field is available located immediately north of the terminal $5.25/gal.

Ground School: Formation Academics will be held FRIDAY evening at 8:00 pm at the hotel:

• Initial Formation Academics: Introduction and review of fundamental 2- ship procedures focusing on training requirements for B2OSH/Caravan mass arrivals. Mandatory for those who have not previously attended a B2OSH/Caravan clinic.

Note: Two offerings of Ground School Academics will also be available the week of the event via webinar (Tues/Thurs evening). Registrants will be invited to participate via e-mail.

**Friday evening/on-line Ground School will maximize flying on Saturday.

Registration fee: $75.00 to cover transportation, arrival social, happy hour beverages, snacks, and clinic materials.

- B2OSH Pilots: The T-34 Formation Flight Manual is required for participation in this clinic. Also required is thorough familiarization with "On Your Own", the Bonanza specific supplement and general information on this web site.

- Mooney Caravan Pilots (and others): Download and study the Mooney Caravan Formation Training Guide from http://www.mooneycar...gMaterials.aspx

Each pilot is considered PIC and solely responsible for the safe operation of the airplane whether there is a safety pilot or not.

Hotel: We've got a block of rooms at the Adelaide Inn http://www.adelaideinn.com/

Call for reservations: 805-238-2770 Hotel POC: Gregory
Group Rate: "Wings and Wine 2014"
King Suite (plus sofa sleeper) $113.40
Double Queen Suite $122.40

Each guest will be given $5 off breakfast coupons for Margie's Diner 6am-10am each morning.

A block of 20 rooms is reserved for us until 21 Feb. After 21 Feb the rate will still be honored but the rooms will be open to other guests. Book early!

Registration:  ALL PARTICIPANTS REGISTER via the B2Osh website! https://www.b2osh.org/MbrPgm/Events/EventsOne.asp?R8r06=IDM

Schedule:

Friday 21 March:

- 1600-1800: Arrival Social / Happy Hour hosted by LaGuardia’s Airport Deli. Food, beer, and local Central CA Wines featured 

- 1800: Shuttle to host hotel

- 2000: Newbies: Initial Formation Academics (B2Osh/Caravan prep). Target audience is Mooney/B2Osh pilots who have not yet attended a clinic or would like a re-hack prior to flying.

Saturday 22 March:

- 0730: Meet at hotel lobby for shuttle to airport

- 0800: Mass brief – flight assignments (Mandatory for ALL pilots)

- 0830-1030: Sortie 1 (brief, fly 45min, debrief)

- 1030-1200: Sortie 2

- 1200-1330: Lunch at La Guardia’s on field

- 1400-1530: Sortie 3

- 1600-1730: Sortie 4

***Group Dinner/Social 1830 location TBD

Sunday 23 March:

- 0730: Meet at hotel lobby for shuttle to airport

- 0800: Mass brief

- 0830-1200: AM fly for those interested

Mooney Caravan: www.mooneycaravan.com

Bonanzas to Oshkosh: www.b2osh.org

Wings and Wine.pdf

Dave,

thinking about joining the caravan this year. When are the clinics scheduled for the NE or SE regions? I live in No Va. Thanks, Jose

Jose, I'm still working the coord for the east coast. Targeting May-June for an east coast clinic. Hope to lock in date/location within a month. Additionally, I'm working with our B2Osh bros for east coast aslo. Bottom line - if you're interested we will get you trained up!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dave, 

Sorry, just saw your earlier answer,  I'm still interested in participating in the formation and joining the clinic.  In fact I did not renew my reservation this year at the university dorms so I can camp with the group.   Years ago I joined the Cessnas to Oshkosh and it was great fun.

Jose