Marvel Mystery Oil

• 3 weeks later...

I have flown with 2 people in the past that used Marvel Mystery Oil in their planes.  One was a Piper Cherokee 140, the other a Cherokee 6. They said they were very happy with using it.  I personally would not use it since it's not FAA or Lycoming approved. Also there's a chance there could be a liability issue if someone is injured in your plane through engine problems and through investigations, it's found that there is MMO in your fuel.  Just my own 2 cents.  I do though have a 1995 Eclipse with a tapping issue at startup, maybe I should try the MMO in the fuel for that! Thanks JimR for the suggestion. 

• 2 years later...

My PPL instructor swears by it.  He is a 70 year old retired airline pilot (33,000 + hours) who has also taught on the side for 40 years.  He puts it in his Cherokee 180 and his Commanche claiming it reduces oil consumption and improves engine life. 

Another compound I used in my Porsche when I broke the engine in was ACEs gasoline treatment.  It is supposed to signicantly increase the quality of fuel and have a significant impact on engine lubrication.  Anecdotally, I've heard of people who used it in motorsport events who swore that it gave them an edge.

When I purchased my mooney it had a low time engine that had been sitting in a hangar and not run for a few years.  We debated on tearing the engine down.  My friend swears he can resurrect these kind of engines with MMO.  He filled each cylinder with MMO at top dead center with a weight on the prop holding it there.  He did this for 4hrs on each cylinder.  That was 4 years ago and aprox 250 hrs later.  All I can say is at each annual we always talk about what a great job that MMO did.

Quote: sapientia

My PPL instructor swears by it.  He is a 70 year old retired airline pilot (33,000 + hours) who has also taught on the side for 40 years.  He puts it in his Cherokee 180 and his Commanche claiming it reduces oil consumption and improves engine life. 

Another compound I used in my Porsche when I broke the engine in was ACEs gasoline treatment.  It is supposed to signicantly increase the quality of fuel and have a significant impact on engine lubrication.  Anecdotally, I've heard of people who used it in motorsport events who swore that it gave them an edge.

my friend did nothing but add MMO 20% at his oil change. even simpler fix.  More money for 100LL.  flying is fun, he says.

the filter immediately flooded with carbon.   After that first oil change: zero carbon. Engine runs like a sewing machine.

Quote: The-sky-captain

Although I started the thread years ago I have never used the product. The way I got my oil consumption down from an outrageous 1Qt per two hours was to get the engine overhauled. Simple fix :)

I did a little google research on it when I ran into a sticking valve issue.  It seems like it works fine in the gas b/c a lot of people swear by it.  But like David said in 2009, I would be worried about an insurance or FAA hickup if they found MMO in the gas.  I believe it changes the color of the fuel when added.

I'm a little confused.  The MooneyLand guy in TX recommends MMO in the fuel on his website.  The original question was MMO added to fuel but it seems to have switched to adding it to the oil.  Is it an oil additive or a fuel additive or both?  Also, if you add it to the oil, do you also add CamGaurd, which is very expensive stuff compared to MMO?

Quote: jetdriven

Meant to be a joke... I didn't OH due to oil consumption. It was due to excessive metal in my filter and large chunks in my suction screen on the previous couple oil changes. It ended up being a camshaft going bad. The engine was only at mid time but hadn't flown much before I got a hold of her. I've put 150 hours on in the 6 months since OH and the oil stays up and clean...

Quote: Mazerbase

I'm a little confused.  The MooneyLand guy in TX recommends MMO in the fuel on his website.  The original question was MMO added to fuel but it seems to have switched to adding it to the oil.  Is it an oil additive or a fuel additive or both?  Also, if you add it to the oil, do you also add CamGaurd, which is very expensive stuff compared to MMO?

There are a couple of the Mooney PPP instructors with heavy maintenance bkgrnds who swear by & recommend MMO for the oil but not for the fuel. The suggestion I got was to put a quart into the oil about 10 hrs before an oil change. That is supposed to really clean the engine prior to refilling. Presumably you could be using Cam Guard along the way. Like,others I've used Marvel in my cars with terrific results over the years so I am a believer. To the point of putting it in the fuel I'd wonder how much to add & what it might do. Obviously it will work thru the fuel system but personally since it is oil I'd be more comfortable with using it in the crankcase as opposed to putting it in the fuel system & worrying about what it might do.

My friend was told 20%, which was 1 quart in a 7 quart oil change.  After 50 hours the filter was loaded with carbon.  The next oil change, oil consumption is half and the filter is spotless inside.  The MMO freed all that carbon in the rings and it runs better now.

• 2 weeks later...

I used it in every vehicle and plane I have ever owned. I use in the oil and fuel. It is a combustive oil, so there is no real danger in adding it to the fuel, provided it is in the correct ratio. Not a lot is needed. In my M20E, I use 4 oz for every 20 gals. Keeps the fuel system lubed and clean, keeps the top end lubed and clean and I read somewhere that it may be beneficial to the tank sealant. In the oil, I add 1 qt to 6.5 qts of oil about 10 hrs prior to the next oil change. I wouldn't leave it in much longer as it changes the viscosity of the oil. Also, I restored a mooney that had sat for 25 yrs in the New England weather. The only good thing about that plane was the engine interior. The previous owner had completely filled the case with MMO and the cylinders combustion chamber. The engine rotated freely, but we tore it down anyway. It was a waste of time. The engine had 105 hrs SMOH prio to it being pickled. The tear down revealed a spotless engine from top to bottom. I was amazed.