#1 The-sky-captain

The-sky-captain

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 640 posts
  • LocationKROG
  • Model:M20J

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

After reading the good reviews on ASL Camguard I've started using it with every oil change. Has anyone out there used Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive? If so what do you think about it?

#2 TurboExec

TurboExec

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

Back when I had my Cherokee 150 I'd occasionally run it through the gas when I ran into some sticky valve problems.  It is a light oil and has some solvants in it, for me it did the job.  Haven't used it in the Mooney yet, but I'm not having any trouble with it either....

#3 bluehighwayflyer

bluehighwayflyer

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Model:'78 M20J

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

I used to own a 300ZX that had a tapping valve problem at start up. A little MMO in the gas solved the problem. I read somewhere that it contains lard, though, if you can believe it, so I'd be hesitant to use it in the plane.

#4 Mooney_Allegro

Mooney_Allegro

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNV, NC, GA
  • Model:98 M20J

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

I have flown with 2 people in the past that used Marvel Mystery Oil in their planes.  One was a Piper Cherokee 140, the other a Cherokee 6. They said they were very happy with using it.  I personally would not use it since it's not FAA or Lycoming approved. Also there's a chance there could be a liability issue if someone is injured in your plane through engine problems and through investigations, it's found that there is MMO in your fuel.  Just my own 2 cents.  I do though have a 1995 Eclipse with a tapping issue at startup, maybe I should try the MMO in the fuel for that! Thanks JimR for the suggestion. 

#5 bluehighwayflyer

bluehighwayflyer

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi, Dave. Let me know if it works! Jim

#6 Mooney_Allegro

Mooney_Allegro

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationNV, NC, GA
  • Model:98 M20J

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

Jim, how much MMO should I use for a full tank of gas for the Eclipse?

#7 bluehighwayflyer

bluehighwayflyer

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Sorry, Dave. Its been 20 years and I just can't remember. You might want to try some STP in your crankcase, along with some MMO in your fuel. I think that this is what I did, and it worked, but I can't remember the specifics. Hope this helps. There's not much to lose in giving it a try, I guess.

Jim

#8 jetdriven

jetdriven

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  • Locationtexas
  • Model:1977 M20J

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

thread resurrection.  How many of of you "have a friend" who uses MMO in the oil?  Any benefits?  My friend reports oil consumption is down from 1 qt every 5-6 hours to every 12 hours.

#9 sapientia

sapientia

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

My PPL instructor swears by it.  He is a 70 year old retired airline pilot (33,000 + hours) who has also taught on the side for 40 years.  He puts it in his Cherokee 180 and his Commanche claiming it reduces oil consumption and improves engine life. 

Another compound I used in my Porsche when I broke the engine in was ACEs gasoline treatment.  It is supposed to signicantly increase the quality of fuel and have a significant impact on engine lubrication.  Anecdotally, I've heard of people who used it in motorsport events who swore that it gave them an edge.

#10 The-sky-captain

The-sky-captain

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 640 posts
  • LocationKROG

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Although I started the thread years ago I have never used the product. The way I got my oil consumption down from an outrageous 1Qt per two hours was to get the engine overhauled. Simple fix :)

#11 kerry

kerry

Lives Here

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

When I purchased my mooney it had a low time engine that had been sitting in a hangar and not run for a few years.  We debated on tearing the engine down.  My friend swears he can resurrect these kind of engines with MMO.  He filled each cylinder with MMO at top dead center with a weight on the prop holding it there.  He did this for 4hrs on each cylinder.  That was 4 years ago and aprox 250 hrs later.  All I can say is at each annual we always talk about what a great job that MMO did.

#12 kerry

kerry

Lives Here

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Quote: sapientia

My PPL instructor swears by it.  He is a 70 year old retired airline pilot (33,000 + hours) who has also taught on the side for 40 years.  He puts it in his Cherokee 180 and his Commanche claiming it reduces oil consumption and improves engine life. 

Another compound I used in my Porsche when I broke the engine in was ACEs gasoline treatment.  It is supposed to signicantly increase the quality of fuel and have a significant impact on engine lubrication.  Anecdotally, I've heard of people who used it in motorsport events who swore that it gave them an edge.

Sound like my friend who is 89 years old.

#13 jetdriven

jetdriven

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  • Locationtexas
  • Model:1977 M20J

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

my friend did nothing but add MMO 20% at his oil change. even simpler fix.  More money for 100LL.  flying is fun, he says.

the filter immediately flooded with carbon.   After that first oil change: zero carbon. Engine runs like a sewing machine.

Quote: The-sky-captain

Although I started the thread years ago I have never used the product. The way I got my oil consumption down from an outrageous 1Qt per two hours was to get the engine overhauled. Simple fix :)

#14 rbridges

rbridges

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationPerry, GA
  • Reg #:6099Q
  • Model:65 M20C

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

I did a little google research on it when I ran into a sticking valve issue.  It seems like it works fine in the gas b/c a lot of people swear by it.  But like David said in 2009, I would be worried about an insurance or FAA hickup if they found MMO in the gas.  I believe it changes the color of the fuel when added.

#15 David Mazer

David Mazer

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 747 posts
  • LocationKSFB, Longwood, FL
  • Model:Flying: 1974 M20F, Sold: 1986 M20K Rocket

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm a little confused.  The MooneyLand guy in TX recommends MMO in the fuel on his website.  The original question was MMO added to fuel but it seems to have switched to adding it to the oil.  Is it an oil additive or a fuel additive or both?  Also, if you add it to the oil, do you also add CamGaurd, which is very expensive stuff compared to MMO?

#16 The-sky-captain

The-sky-captain

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 640 posts
  • LocationKROG

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Quote: jetdriven

my friend did nothing but add MMO 20% at his oil change. even simpler fix.  More money for 100LL.  flying is fun, he says.

the filter immediately flooded with carbon.   After that first oil change: zero carbon. Engine runs like a sewing machine.

Quote: The-sky-captain

Meant to be a joke... I didn't OH due to oil consumption. It was due to excessive metal in my filter and large chunks in my suction screen on the previous couple oil changes. It ended up being a camshaft going bad. The engine was only at mid time but hadn't flown much before I got a hold of her. I've put 150 hours on in the 6 months since OH and the oil stays up and clean...

#17 rbridges

rbridges

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationPerry, GA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

Quote: Mazerbase

I'm a little confused.  The MooneyLand guy in TX recommends MMO in the fuel on his website.  The original question was MMO added to fuel but it seems to have switched to adding it to the oil.  Is it an oil additive or a fuel additive or both?  Also, if you add it to the oil, do you also add CamGaurd, which is very expensive stuff compared to MMO?

It is an oil additive, but some people have used it in their fuel.  I believe it's supposed to minimize deposits in the cylinders and valves.

#18 David Mazer

David Mazer

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 747 posts
  • LocationKSFB, Longwood, FL
  • Model:Flying: 1974 M20F, Sold: 1986 M20K Rocket

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Is it in addition to CamGaurd or instead of CamGaurd?

#19 rbridges

rbridges

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationPerry, GA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Quote: Mazerbase

Is it in addition to CamGaurd or instead of CamGaurd?

sorry, can't help with the camguard.  I've never used it.

#20 Cris

Cris

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBrigantine, NJ
  • Reg #:N20098
  • Model:M20S Screamin' Eagle ATP, CFII, AGI

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

There are a couple of the Mooney PPP instructors with heavy maintenance bkgrnds who swear by & recommend MMO for the oil but not for the fuel. The suggestion I got was to put a quart into the oil about 10 hrs before an oil change. That is supposed to really clean the engine prior to refilling. Presumably you could be using Cam Guard along the way. Like,others I've used Marvel in my cars with terrific results over the years so I am a believer. To the point of putting it in the fuel I'd wonder how much to add & what it might do. Obviously it will work thru the fuel system but personally since it is oil I'd be more comfortable with using it in the crankcase as opposed to putting it in the fuel system & worrying about what it might do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users